Install OpenRefine on Mac
Mac seems to have issues when trying to install OpenRefine–and each version of OS X / macOS has different problems! The official instructions are on the OpenRefine wiki, but this list brings together resources to trouble shoot some common issues during install.
- Open Refine needs Java JRE. Go to the Java page, download and install the most up-to-date version for Mac.
Download the latest OpenRefine
.dmgversion (as of this post
openrefine-mac-2.7.dmg) from the Releases page.
- Install by opening the
.dmgand dragging the OpenRefine icon into the Applications folder icon.
- Older versions of OS X might prompt an error message: “Google Refine is damaged and can’t be opened”. This is due to OS X Gatekeeper misidentifying Refine. If you encounter this error, you need to change a setting, in Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab > Allow applications downloaded from: > change to Anywhere.
- Run by double clicking on the OpenRefine icon in he Applications folder.
- Recent versions of macOS amy give you a warning at this point saying “OpenRefine is blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer”. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab, and look under Allow apps downloaded from. It should say something about “OpenRefine” was blocked, click the Open Anyway button.
- OpenRefine icon should appear in your dock, and a browser window should automatically open. However, sometimes a browser window does not automatically open. Then manually navigate to http://localhost:3333/ or http://127.0.0.1:3333/ to find the Refine interface.
- Shutdown by clicking the OpenRefine icon in the dock and then typing