What is OpenRefine?
“A power tool for working with messy data”
- more powerful than a spreadsheet
- more interactive and visual than scripting
- more provisional / exploratory / experimental / playful than a database
Exciting Trailers from Google!
If you want a visual introduction, check out these trailers from Google created for an early version:
Refine can handle all sorts of data!
- Import formats: TSV, CSV, custom separator txt, Excel, XML, JSON, Google Spreadsheets, RDF
- Sources: local file, archive (zip), URL, clipboard, or Google
Comfortable performance up to 100,000’s of rows.
Clean - discover and fix inconsistency with faceting, clustering, cell transforms, GREL expressions…
Transform - change formats or reshape with split/join multi valued cells, split columns, transpose columns/rows…
Extend - enrich data by combining files, merging projects, fetching URLs, reconciliation with online databases…
Automate - reuse your processing routine by exporting operation history in JSON!